Annotate a PDF in Preview on Mac Although you can’t edit the text of a PDF in Preview, you can use the markup tools to provide feedback or write down something you want to remember. The editing tools in the Markup toolbar are ideal for collaborating—use them to suggest changes to a PDF and to respond to suggestions. Master PDF Editor The Master PDF Editor is a free alternative to Adobe Acrobat that handles PDF and XPS files well. Though there is a paid edition the demo edition also lets users access all its features that include editing PDF files with both images and texts. Click on the “Edit PDF” tool in the right pane. Use Acrobat editing tools: Add new text, edit text, or update fonts using selections from the Format list. Add, replace, move, or resize images on the page using selections from the Objects list. Click the other tools to edit your PDF further. You can add a watermark and annotate PDFs too. There is nothing comparable to Adobe Acrobat. It's the only application that can create a new PDF and directly edit a PDF document. Others, even my favorite, can only overlay stuff. It cannot truly edit a PDF such as selecting text and replacing it or deleting it.
- Is There A Free Pdf Editor For Mac
- What Is The Best Pdf Editor For Macbook
- What Is The Best Pdf Editor For Mac
With Adobe Acrobat, users can create, view, and edit any PDF files without any hassle. However, in spite of its features and effectiveness, not all users can afford to have this tool since it costs hundreds of dollars. And it’s quite complicated for beginners. In this case, many users are looking for some simple and cheaper alternatives to Acrobat. There are bunches of PDF editing software on the internet today, and to help you out some of the finest Adobe Acrobat substitute are shown after the cut.
Top Adobe Acrobat Replacement
This is a PDF editor software that can be used in creating or modifying any existing PDF files and forms. ApowerPDF features all of the must-have functions that a PDF editor must have. These includes the ability to manage PDF pages whether you need to delete, extract, crop, or rotate a specific portion of a PDF document.
Plus, it provides security by allowing users to add passwords and signatures to a certain PDF file. And if you need to convert a PDF document into an editable format, then this tool can help you to convert your file into editable formats like Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
This program can be a great Adobe Acrobat alternative due to the fact that it is compact and provides most of the functions that can be done on Acrobat. It is definitely one worth checking out.
Another substitute to Adobe Acrobat that you can utilize is a program called PDFescape Desktop. This application mimics some of the functions that can be found on Acrobat such as the ability to adjust, delete, insert, and crop PDF pages. It also supports encryption of PDF contents with the use of a password, modifies PDF information tag, and allows the use of scanned signature to sign PDF files.
This is a decent tool to use as a replacement for doing some basic modifications into your PDF file. And the desktop version of this app requires a premium account so it means you need to avail their service before you can utilize it.
Foxit Phantom PDF
The next alternative to Adobe Acrobat is called Foxit Phantom PDF. Unlike the usual PDF converters, this tool is equipped with easy to use editing functions which can be used to crop, add watermarks, cut, rotate, resize, etc. It also supports OCR technology and font recognition which is very useful in modifying or starting a new PDF document. You need to spend a little bit to get this program but it’s worth giving a try.
Anyone can use this as an alternative to Adobe’s PDF editor for it offers similar if not the same function as the Acrobat. Just be aware that this tool can’t save into few formats, which the developer needs to address.
Now if you are a Mac OS user, then a program similar to Adobe Acrobat that you can use is Preview. This PDF editor is made for Mac OS users’ convenience and is capable of editing as well as creating new PDF documents. By using this program, you can modify multiple portion of a PDF text, at the same time trim, and label multiple pages together. All of its functions are quick and easy to utilize making it a fair alternative to Acrobat.
With its attributes it surely fits in as one of the must have free alternative for Adobe Acrobat. And this application is for free, but it only runs on OSX devices.
This next PDF editor for Mac OS is named PDFPen. It has the basic features that a PDF editor has, including modifications in typos in the text documents, capable of adding texts, images, and signatures. Aside from these, PDFPen even supports OCR technology helping users in converting images into an editable text document.
It is easy to say that this tool can be a good choice as an Acrobat alternative. But note that it’s exclusive for Mac users only.
Is There A Free Pdf Editor For Mac
Those are the finest Adobe Acrobat replacement that you can use on a daily basis. You might notice that most of them have similar functions, but some programs have additional functions than the others. Feel free to try all of the alternative programs that we provide above to know which app suits your needs.
Mark up PDFs
Use the markup toolbar in Preview to add text and comments, sign documents, highlight text, and more. To show the markup toolbar, click the Show Markup Toolbar button at the top of the window, or choose View > Show Markup Toolbar.
In most PDFs, you can simply click a text field, then type to enter text in the field.
If you can't add text to a field, use a text box instead:
- Click the Text button in the markup toolbar, or choose Tools > Annotate > Text.
- To show font, size, and color options for text in a text box, click the Text Style button in the markup toolbar.
- To move the text box, just drag it.
To turn highlight mode on or off, click the Highlight button in the toolbar. When highlight mode is on, highlights appear when you select text.
What Is The Best Pdf Editor For Macbook
- To change the highlight color or switch to strikethrough or underline, click next to the Hightlight button , then choose an option.
- To remove a highlight, Control-click the text, then choose Remove Highlight.
What Is The Best Pdf Editor For Mac
To add a note, click the Note button in the markup toolbar, or choose Tools > Annotate > Note.
- To close the note, click outside the note box. You can move notes anywhere on the document.
- To open a note, click the note box.
- To see all notes and highlights, choose View > Highlights and Notes.
Add your signature
- Click the Sign button in the markup toolbar, or choose Tools > Annotate > Signature.
- Click Create Signature, then choose whether to use your trackpad, built-in camera, or iOS device to create a signature:
- Click Trackpad, then use your trackpad to sign your name with your finger. If you have a Force Touch trackpad, you can press harder on the trackpad to sign with a darker line. After you sign your name, press any key on the keyboard.
- Click Camera, then sign your name on white paper and hold it up to the camera. Your Mac will automatically scan the signature and show it in the Camera window.
- Click iPhone (or iPad or iPod touch), then sign your name on your device's screen when prompted. Learn more about using iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch to sketch in or mark up documents.
- Click Done.
- Choose your signature to add it to the document. You can move and resize it anywhere on the document.
- Crop: Drag to select the crop area, then choose Tools > Crop.
- Rotate: Choose Tools > Rotate Left or Rotate Right.
- Adjust color: Choose Tools > Adjust Color, then drag a slider to make an adjustment.
- Adjust size: Choose Tools > Adjust Size, enter the desired dimensions, then click OK.
- Get quick access to edit controls: Click the Show Markup Toolbar button at the top of the window.
Share and export
- To share your file, click the Share button , or choose File > Share. Then choose an option.
- To save your document or image in a different format, choose File > Export, choose a format, then click Save.